Tuesday 12 September 2017

I've been a portrait photographer for musicians, cosplays, and standard portraits. I'm going to be photographing a dance troupe in a few weeks and I could use some suggestions and tips!


Here is some of my most recent workA little backstory:I've been a hobbyist for a few years and then went amateur-professional four years ago and have had so many wonderful opportunities open up!One of them is an event in a few weeks where I will be photographing a dress rehearsal for a dance ensemble. They are telling stories of cancer survivors centered around an individual who had an ugly battle with breast cancer and won.I have always felt confident in capturing a story or a personality in a photo, but this is something next level for me. I asked specifically to photograph the dress rehearsal because it will allow me to maybe get a little closer to the stage, some on stage shots, and they are setting up a portrait session after the rehearsal. Something I couldn't do during the performance.Okay, onto the questions at hand and where I need suggestions.I have never photographed dancers before. I want to really capture their passion and their skill while capturing the story. I asked and was told that these photos will be used for sharing on social media, print for their printed newsletters, and some photos will be in the newspaper. I'm also capturing a portrait of the dancers and the subject/inspiration for the piece that will be put on a canvas and given as a gift.What are some key moments I should be looking for?How can I be respectful of their craft, but still direct in portrait time how to move and where I want them?And how do I best capture the purpose behind this event?At what point do I put my tag on the photos if any at all? I usually watermark the bottom corner so that it doesn't take away from the portrait.Any advice is welcome and how to take what I have in previous photos and apply it here!Thank you! via /r/photography http://ift.tt/2jn2Y4O

No comments:

Post a Comment