Friday 4 October 2019

Getting LR organized / how do you manage your photos?


Long time hobbyist needing a new system.Background: About 10 years of photos, around 1 TB in raw. Currently stored on several 500 gb external hard drives with duplicates. Not backed up online. I had LR 4 for years. Then had the new LR CC for a year, but canceled because I hadn't the time for it. No LR for 1-2 years. Now I have the Adobe suite through work, but it's not connected to the canceled account.What I have:MacBook Pro (only about 30 gb available), but often use PC for workNew 1 TB ssd drive (might be too small for everything, but I probably need to delete about 30%, so planning to transfer one drive at a time and sort photos).Complete Adobe suite - although provided through work, I don't use it for work. Can be entirely personal, but may need to transfer data if I leave companyAmazon PrimeNo syncing softwareNot much space on google drive, apple or dropbox (good enough for catalog, not photos).What I want:I plan to use LR CC to move all the photos from various locations to the one main drive. I also want that main drive synced to something online. Open to suggestions / corrections to this approach.A single LR catalog that I can access from multiple computers. I can find my LR4 catalog, but don't know about the cancelled LRCC catalog. How can I find the catalog for the cancelled LRCC?An online backup option that doesn't cost too much. I'm thinking Prime Photos, but then I think I need syncing software. Recommendations?General tips. How do I keep it all organized? How do I make sure not to lose my xmp files? How do I deal with duplicates? Is there anything I'm missing or mistakes I might make?Feel free to direct me to best resources. I just get frustrated googling every little thing and half of the info is outdated for LRCC or not very helpful for the large amounts of data that photos take up. For example, I just went down the rabbit hole of which backup software to buy. So I thought I'd come here and see what this group thinks - not just about backup software, but about the whole system / approach / project. via /r/photography https://ift.tt/2pN6by6

No comments:

Post a Comment