Sunday, 10 March 2019

The photographer’s humility


Ok, this one is not for the pros or the amateurs with years of experience. ButI know there are a lot of beginners / budding hobbyists who won’t be so lucky (or so crazy!) to get a formal education in photography and those are the ones who might benefit from this minor lesson I learned in photo school. Story Time!I was meeting with two of my teachers, a formal meeting to assess the progress of a semester-long project.So here I am telling them Yeah that’s all the new prints I have to show since our last meeting, but I shot some great pics this morning, I just need to process the rolls. and they both scoffed.I was feeling insulted ; I shot the images, I am making progress. I’m not bullshitting!But they kindly explained to me : We know you shot something in the studio this morning. But don’t say you have some great shots until you actually have them printed and ready to show. Just because you saw something good doesn’t mean you captured it the way you think.They were teaching me what I’ve been calling the Photographer’s humility. Never assume that you got the shot. Never brag that you got the shot. Keep shooting until your subject is exhausted or until it’s pitch dark or you’re out of film.Tell your model/client/friends Yeah I think we got something decent not Wait until you see those pics they’re gonna rock your world!! Under-promise and over-deliver.Get your collaborators involved : one of my favourite things to do on a shoot is turn to the talent, or to the hair/make-up artist or whoever and say : I think I got what I wanted now, is there another pose/detail/look you think we should get? Two perspectives are better than one, let those people help you.Obviously there is a corollary, guys like peter Hurley going all Shebang! and hyping themselves and their clients about the shots they just got. I got there after a while, and so will you, but in the meanwhile i recommend that you consider the Photographer’s Humility. via /r/photography https://ift.tt/2NV8VkK

No comments:

Post a Comment